Pages

Thursday, January 18, 2007

April 2007 Comix & Merchandise

Wish the indy companies would have a better way of showcasing their upcoming releases before Previews hits the stand because I don't normally buy Previews. So I'm just going to showcase what I think looks cool, what I wish I could get, etc. from DC, Marvel, Image, and Dark Horse. But that doesn't mean I'm showing everything I'm buying.

Dark Horse

THE ART OF BONE
JEFF SMITH (W/A)

I tried following the series back when I had no finances but was taken by how fun it was. Two years back got the one volume which was completely awesome. I won't be picking this up, at around 40 bucks, but I'm sure hardcore Bone fans will enjoy this. If you haven't tried bone I suggest going for the new colored reissues or finding One Volume which is around 60 dollars I believe. It's about these creatures called Bones who get run out of Boneville and lost in a mysterious valley, they get caught up in a great big adventure complete with dragons, monsters, and a princess.

That’s it from Dark Horse though my boy David Bird would point you to Blade of the Immortal as issue #124 hits stands as well as collection vol. 17. Also the second issue of Buffy season 8.


Image

FELL, VOL. 1: FERAL CITY TP
story WARREN ELLIS
art & cover BEN TEMPLESMITH

So I'm not a Warren Ellis fan, the guy still does some interesting things. i mean, you read his work and it just stands out from a lot of the rest for being smarter and more dense then most other writers can produce and this series here has become quite popular amongst Images titles. Now... I don't like Ellis because he's a little too cynical and depressing at times for even me, though I admit to only reading a little of his work and I do think Nextwave is fun. So I might check this out on the stands. Depends on if I'll be able to work it into my budget. 12.99, not so bad.

It collects issues 1-8 and, because I can't figure a way to reword this interestingly enough: Detective Richard Fell is transferred over the bridge from the big city to Snowtown, a feral district whose police investigations department numbers three and a half people (one detective has no legs). Dumped in this collapsing urban trashzone, Richard Fell is starting all over again. In a place where nothing seems to make any sense, Fell clings to the one thing he knows to be true: Everybody’s hiding something.

THE PIRATES OF CONEY ISLAND #7 (of 8)
story RICK SPEARS
art by VASILIS LOLOS

I've been ordering this on subscription from mail order comics and it's been a very fun read. It's about a runaway who ends up in Coney Island and hooks up with a local GTA gang called the pirates. They rob cars and pawn them and have problems with the girl gang the Cherries. The art is beautiful and I've liked Rick Spears Teenagers from Mars and Filler and this one is just as good, if not better. High recommendation on this one. Very high, check it out.

That’s all from Image that stands out for me. Except for the Robert Kirkman fans who'll see lots to love.


DC Comics & Imprints

THE PLAIN JANES
Written by Cecil Castellucci
Art and cover by Jim Rugg

The debut of the MINX line from DC aimed at female readers. The story is about Jane who moves from the big city to the suburbs and meets up with three other Janes and starts an art gang. Ugh... Jim Ruggs drawing? Sold. Jim Rugg drew the awesome Street Angel which is one of my favorite comics of all time. Cecil Castellucci is a novelist who will be helping to kick the line off.

Good luck to the crew and a big thumbs up to DC for this attempt at trying to create books to bring female readers in. Just try and do some promoting, will you? Please?

52: WEEKS 48-52
Written by Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Mark Waid
Breakdowns by Keith Giffen
Art by various
Backup features by Waid and various
Covers by J.G. Jones

So, will it finish on time? We'll see as 52 ties down with comic fans already angry over this image suggesting a new female Question. me? I'm cool with it. We got
Darick Robertson, Eddy Barrows, Joe Bennett, and Justiniano guaranteed and that’s good. Haven't read much of Robertsons work but what I've seen looks nice and Justinano's Day of Vengeance art was killer. I hope Bennet draws the last issue as he did the first four himself. Also at the end of the month of May, three weeks after the advance solicited issue 52, the first trade will be released. 13 issues for 20 bucks.

THE ALL-NEW ATOM VOL. 1: MY LIFE IN MINIATURE TP
Written by Gail Simone
Art by John Byrne, Trevor Scott and others
Cover by Ariel Olivetti

Luckily DC advance solicits this stuff so maybe I'll be able to afford this on the stands when it comes out because I can't pre-order because of my budget(I'll explain when we hit the Marvel section). I like about half of what Gail Simone does and this one has gotten solid reviews.

Solicitation reads: Collecting the first 6 issues of the acclaimed new series! Meet Ryan Choi - the young hotshot professor filling the empty slot on Ivy University's teaching staff…and who inadvertently fills the role as the all-new super-heroic Atom!

CHECKMATE #13
Written by Greg Rucka
Art by Joe Bennett & Jack Jadson
Cover by Matthew Clark & Art Thibert

I like Checkmate, I like Greg Rucka, and I like Joe Bennett-but I'm not buying Outsiders so this issue will be the first in several I'll be skipping.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #8
Written by Brad Meltzer
Art by Ed Benes & Sandra Hope
Cover by Michael Turner

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #5
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Dale Eaglesham & Art Thibert
Cover by Alex Ross

This crossover I can deal with because I'm buying both books. Justice League of America which I like and the Justice Society of America which I love will meet at the hands of Geoff Johns and controversial writer Brad Meltzer. I expect much violence, rape and retconning. No, I kid. But god knows I'm sure many comic fans do.

The crossover seems to revolve around a character named Trident. details are a bit sketchy but we get a Batman/Starman team up and a battle at the Fortress of Solitude. That’s enough information for me.

Oh, and the first hardcover for the new JLoA series gets released if you missed it. I find it to be quite entertaining but many critics disagree with me. Personally I think most are still upset with Identity Crisis and are letting that get to their heads.

MANHUNTER #30
Written by Mark Andreyko
Art by Javier Pina & Robin Riggs
Cover by Jesus Saiz & Pina

Disappointed I am. Seriously... hope Gail Simone continues using her in Birds of Prey. Lovely cover by Jesus Saiz who was the series original artist and then cover artist after he left. this would mark the second series finale cover he's done.

WONDER WOMAN

Lots of stuff from the Amazon princess as the first trade of the relaunch, Who Is Wonder Woman?, is released by TV writer Allen Heinberg and Terry Dodson. Issues 7 and 8 come out to get the book back on track. Written by novelist Jodi Picoult and former Wonder Woman artist Drew Johnson. Plus a new mini spinning out of events called Amazons Attack starts featuring the team of Will Pfeiffer and Pete Woods. Yes, I'm buying them all. Except the trade, I have the issues.

FABLES #60
Written by Bill Willingham
Art by Mark Buckingham & Steve Leialoha
Cover by James Jean

That's the problem when waiting for trade, you're going to be issues behind and I'm very interested in this issue which centers around Flycatcher, the one time frog-turned prince of classic fairly tale. Of course, my interest is partly due to the very depressing and almost tear inducing short story from the Fables graphic novel 1001 Nights of Snowfall.

THE OTHER SIDE TP
Written by Jason Aaron
Art and cover by Cameron Stewart

The solicitation reads:
A new volume collecting the hard-hitting, acclaimed miniseries examining life on opposing sides of the Vietnam War through the eyes of two young men: Bill Everette, an Alabama farm boy who's been drafted into the Marine Corps, and Vietnamese farmer Vo Dai, who enlists in the People's Army of Vietnam to fulfill his duty to his country. This volume features loads of behind-the-scenes extras, including an introduction by Captain Dale Dye.

Now, I have little to no interest in war stories and the writer is new to me, but this book has Cameron Stewart who was all kinds of awesome on Seven Soldiers: Guardian. Now, this book has also got some high praise on the net from fans and critics. At 12.99 I'm willing to pick this one up off the stands. i hope it lives up to all the good word of mouth.

There's much more in the solicits to make DC Johnny's happy except for the fact no Action Comics or Superman plus no information on all those much talked about Grant Morrison/Wildstorm projects. For shame DC, for shame.


Marvel Comics

LONERS #1 (of 6)
Written by C. B. CEBULSKI
Art by KARL MOLINE
Cover by JASON PEARSON

The group of C-listers that made their first appearance in the pages of Runaways gets a new mini series by a writer and artist I'm not too familiar with but hell, I'm going to try it out. Have to support Phil Urich, the greatest Green Goblin ever. the only details given is what was seen first time out in Runaways as a group of former superheroes deal with their lives in a self help group. I'm sure the series will have lots of action and won't be just scenes of Nighthawk crying his eyes out over Spider-Man neglecting him.

RUNAWAYS #25
Written by JOSS WHEDON
Penciled by MICHAEL RYAN
Cover by JO CHEN

All this talk about Runaways and guess what, Joss Whedon of Buffy and Firefly fame takes over for six issues. Along with a great artist in Michael Ryan. He sends the kids to NYC and, what the... looks like the cover presents some spoilers. But I won't share.

Also the third Hardcover gets released just in time to catch any of Whedon's fans up on the series if they had not checked it out before. Looks like I'm adding this to mail order so I can get 36% off and squeeze in...

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC
Written by STAN LEE & STEVE DITKO
Penciled by STEVE DITKO with JACK KIRBY
Cover by JACK KIRBY & STEVE DITKO
Variant Painted Cover by ALEX ROSS


I split costs between LCS and mail order, this actually saves me around 50-100 bucks a month. Books like this are the reason.

Now don't get me wrong, Stan lee isn't a favorite writer of mine and Spider-Man is a character I'm "eh" about but I've always been interested in Steve Ditkos work. I've seen a little and liked it, plus the complete legendary run of a title for 100 bucks(just over 60 for me) sounds like a must have. I usually try to spend less then 75 on mail order a month, but with this, Runaways, and Plain Janes I think it'll be definitely over 100. But hey, I'm buying it.

There's lots of Spidey and Civil War stuff for those interested. Marvels being secretive with Capt., Iron man, and more so I can't comment. But then again Marvel=whatever for me.




No comments: